I found a new favorite brownie recipe. Well, I never really had a favorite brownie recipe to begin with, so I guess I just found a new brownie recipe. Anyway, that’s all beside the point. We had to remake brownies this week, which I was pretty excited about because I really like brownies. I did a couple searches on FoodGawker and Pinterest, tossed around the idea of “healthy” brownies as well as dairy-free brownies, but finally settled on decadence in the form of red velvet cheesecake brownies.
The recipe was simple and straightforward, and the result was delicious. I’d probably toy around with it a little bit, adding more or less cream creese filling and more or less chocolate, but it’s a perfect base recipe. I would keep it in mind for parties, potlucks, and of course, Valentine’s Day.
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies (adapted from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen)
Ingredients for brownies
1/2 cup butter
2 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp red food coloring
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for cream cheese swirl
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch baking pan.
2. To make the brownies, melt butter and chocolate together in a small, heatproof bowl. Stir until combined and very smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
3. Then in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, red food coloring, and vanilla extract. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add flour and salt and stir until smooth.
4. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Prepare cream cheese swirl by adding cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract into a bowl. Beat until smooth.
6. Distribute the cream cheese mixture by dolloping on top of the brownie batter. Swirl in with a knife or spatula.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a knife comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy.