While I’m definitely not dairy-free, I do still have an interest in trying dairy-free recipes. I do try not to consume as much dairy as I used to, and recipes like this coconut vodka tomato sauce help me feel as though I’m not missing out on something. I think a creamy vodka sauce over pasta is amazing, but it’s not something I usually make since it requires cream. I found this recipe a while back, and finally decided to give it a whirl. On an impulse, I invited two friends over for dinner and turned them into impromptu guinea pigs. The recipe was a great success, and my friends agreed that if they couldn’t tell the sauce was made from coconut milk instead of cream. I also thought the sauce was delicious, and it was just as good as leftovers the next couple days. I’m so excited to have a non-dairy vodka sauce option now.
Coconut Vodka Tomato Sauce (recipe adapted from BitterSweet)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 large onion, finely minced
1 cup vodka
2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 14-oz can coconut milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt coconut oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Saute onion in coconut oil until softened.
3. Deglaze with the vodka, stir well, and let cook for 10 minutes.
4. Mix in crushed tomatoes and bring mixture to rapid bubble.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low to keep sauce at steady simmer and cook for another 30 minutes.
6. Pour in coconut milk and cook for final 30 minutes.
7. Season to taste and serve over pasta.